compensation: commensurate with experience employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
Wednesday - Sunday Midnight to 8 am
Avalon Housing is a non-profit supportive housing provider created in 1992 as a long-term solution to homelessness. Avalon owns and operates apartments at sites throughout Ann Arbor, manages rent vouchers with private landlords, and partners with both the Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti Housing Commission to provide housing alternatives for formerly homeless adults and families throughout Washtenaw County.
Utilizing a "Housing First" approach, our services teams help tenants achieve housing stability and move beyond homelessness. Services staff also collaborates with community partners to ensure the coordinated delivery of a broad range of services that meet the mental, physical, psycho-social and housing needs of the individuals either through direct service or linkage to appropriate resources.
The individuals served by this position face many challenges including multi-morbid conditions, mental illness, substance abuse disorders, and/or chronic medical conditions alongside a history of chronic homelessness. The Residential Support Specialist position will provide hands-on support with these clients in their homes, to help ensure their wellbeing and maintain their housing. Provided services may include apartment cleaning, laundry cleaning, skills coaching, medication administration, and well-being assessment.
In conjunction with the Team Leader and other staff, Residential Support Specialists are responsible for the provision of basic services to tenants and performance of day-to-day operational functions in addition to monitoring guests entry/exit to the building and providing onsite response.
• Interact with tenants in the general milieu of common areas
• Assist in the coordination of services to tenants, contact outside service providers as necessary
• Assist in engaging tenants through creative, resourceful strategies that build trust and confidence
• Assist in the initiation, facilitation and promotion of on-site activities, therapeutic support groups, outings and community meetings/events/meals
• Support program operations
• Operate all functions in lobby office, including checking visitors in and out, answering telephones and monitoring security systems
• Maintain safety and security by monitoring all general access areas and enforcing program rules
• Intervene in crises, respond to emergencies, and initiate action as required, including contact with emergency response systems
• Respond to tenant complaints
• Work cooperatively with clinical, property management, maintenance, and other staff onsite in addition to visiting providers; refer tenants to clinical and other staff as necessary
• Initiate appropriate response to maintenance requests
• Participate in staff meetings and trainings
• Assist tenants with conflict resolution among tenants and neighbors
• Assist tenants as needed with activities of daily living such as transportation, housekeeping, meal preparation, medication, shopping, laundry, or other hands on assistance
• Meet documentation requirements as dictated by program need
Supplemental Job Duties:
• Attend staff meetings, retreats and professional training sessions
• High School Diploma
• Avalon Housing is dedicated to eliminating racial inequities. Successful candidates will demonstrate the ability to work well with multicultural communities.
Desired Skills and Abilities:
• A year experience in human services, preferably working with similar populations, including people who are homeless, people with mental illness, chronic health, and/or addiction disorders preferred
• Basic understanding of homelessness and various characteristics of homeless adult population; experience with the issues of mental illness and chemical dependency preferred.
• Ability to effectively work with diverse populations in a non-judgmental way
• Capacity to respond to crisis situations
• Strong communication skills - both verbal and written
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Ability to recognize appropriate boundaries with clients
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Must possess a highly positive and enthusiastic attitude and strong commitment toward helping those in need
• Interest and experience in working with individuals who are difficult to engage and refer to traditional programs, subscribe to a philosophy of tolerance and ability to engage with individuals in their current stage of change, expressed knowledge, acceptance, and/or experience with principles of harm reduction
• Ability to communicate and work effectively with staff from various backgrounds • Ability to work flexible hours as required by programs and staffing needs
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required sit for long periods of time, drive a vehicle with passengers, communicate with other persons by talking and hearing, required to lift and carry items weighing up to 25 pounds and to operate computer hardware systems.
A valid driver's license and reliable transportation is required.
Job Title: Residential Support Specialist
Department: Services, Ashley Team
Reports to: Ashley Services Team Leader
Status: Full-time: the schedule is midnight to 8 am, Wednesday - Sunday)
Pay Rate: Hourly, benefits eligible
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and references to email@example.com or mail to:
Avalon Housing, Inc., Attn: Personnel
1327 Jones Drive, Suite 102
Ann Arbor MI 48105
This posting will remain open until the position is filled
Please include the job position title in your email subject line.
Avalon Housing is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks applicants from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, as well as historically marginalized groups. This includes but is not limited to lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, people who identify as transgender or non-binary, people living with disabilities or mental health conditions, and with lived experience with homelessness or recovery from a substance use disorder. Avalon also encourages those with criminal histories to apply. Avalon doesn't request information about criminal histories unless and until an offer of employment is extended. Avalon may exclude someone based on criminal history if it determines the criminal history is related to or directly conflicts with the responsibilities of the position.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers